Team Name: Buffalo Bills
Division: AFC East
Stadium: Ralph Wilson Stadium (Orchard Park, NY)
2013 Record: 6-10
Head Coach: Doug Marrone (2013 – present), who coached at Syracuse and has no other interesting tidbits we can think of at the moment
Quarterback: EJ Manuel (2013 – present), still young in his career, has the potential to be good, but missed 6 games due to injuries last year
3 Offensive Players You Should Know:
– C.J. Spiller, Running Back (28) – Spiller is quick, but there are questions about his durability. If he’s not injured, Fred Jackson usually is.
– Fred Jackson, Running Back (22) – Fred Jackson is a 33-year-old running back, which is crazy in this league, considering the beatings the position takes. If he’s not injured, C.J. Spiller usually is. (Whichever one is injured is the one I most likely have on my fantasy team.)
– Sammy Watkins, Wide Receiver (14) – Buffalo gave up a lot to get this kid in the draft, so they better hope he’s a good as they say he is.
3 Defensive Players You Should Know:
– Mario Williams, Defensive End (94) – When Mario joined the team in 2012, he signed one of the most lucrative contracts for a defensive player in the history of the league. He likes to sack quarterbacks. Jim Schwartz’s defense should be a good fit for him.
– Kiko Alonso, Linebacker (50) – You won’t see Kiko on the field this year because he tore his ACL in July, but we still think he’s worth mentioning. Big loss for this team.
– Brandon Spikes, Linebacker (51) – Spikes left the Patriots to join the Bills this off-season and his aggressive style of play should help in the absence of Alonso. The last article I read about him described him as a “vicious” pass-rusher. I’d say that’s an accurate assessment.
What Happened This Offseason:
– They gave up their 2014 and 2015 first-round draft picks to get Sammy Watkins, a sensational wide receiver from Clemson. Unfortunately, he injured his ribs in a pre-season game against the Steelers and then re-injured them in the last preseason game against Lions. We hope he makes a full recovery because he’ll be an exciting player to watch.
– Jim Schwartz is their new defensive coordinator. He got fired as the head coach of the Detroit Lions earlier this year after coaching there for 5 years.
– Bon Jovi, among other rich people, is trying to buy the team. Ralph Wilson, the founding owner of the team, passed away last year and now the team is up for grabs. The people in Buffalo are all up in a tizzy because Bon Jovi is business partners with a Toronto-based investment group and they think he is going to move the team to the Great White North.
Why You Should Cheer for Them: You feel sorry for them because it’s cold in Buffalo and they might get shipped off to some other city or Canada, depending on who buys the team.
2014 Theme Song: Cool Kids (Echosmith) – The Bills are kind of like your friend’s little brother that everyone feels kinda bad for because he’s socially awkward and doesn’t get invited to the parties. The chorus of this song goes, “I wish that I could be like the cool kids, cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in, […] they seem to get it.” In this case, the cool kids are the ones that make it to the playoffs every year, something Buffalo hasn’t done since 1999.
(Echosmith is a cool new band too. Their debut album Talking Dreams is worth a listen if you like the sound of “Cool Kids”.)
The Last Word: “The Bills are kinda boring right now. They are sucking.” – Val
Don’t forget to take the extra step to Google Image search some of the guys if you want to recognize them on game day.