Team Name: Indianapolis Colts
Division: AFC South
Stadium: Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, IN)
2013 Record: 11-5
Head Coach: Chuck Pagano (2012 – present), the man inspiring the #ChuckStrong movement after being diagnosed with leukemia in 2012, he has since been in remission
Quarterback: Andrew Luck (2012 – present), known for his 4th quarter heroics. If Peyton Manning is going to leave your team, you hope that someone like Andrew Luck comes along because he’s got all the makings of a really really great quarterback and will probably be a threat for many years to come
3 Offensive Players You Should Know:
– Reggie Wayne, Wide Receiver (87) – He’s 35-years-old, but I’ll be darned if he acts like it on the football field. He has impressively spent his entire career with the Colts and currently ranks 7th on the all-time receptions list and 9th on the all-time receiving yards list. He’s had over 1,000 receptions. Think about it – if most receivers are lucky to get 5 or so receptions a game…it takes a lot of games to get to that 1,000 mark. He tore his ACL in 2013 and missed about half of the season.
– T.Y. Hilton, Wide Receiver (13) – In his third year, T.Y. Hilton is off to a fantastic start in 2014, putting up some impressive numbers. He’s speedy and has steadily improved, gaining Andrew Luck’s trust. You would never know that he’s 5′ 9″, which is short for a wide receiver.
– Dwyane Allen, Tight End (83) – I picked up this tight end late in my fantasy draft in 2012, his first year on the team. I was two years too early. After missing all of 2013 with an injury, Dwyane Alllen has proven to be one of Andrew Luck’s favorite targets this year.
3 Defensive Players You Should Know:
– Arthur Jones, Defensive Tackle (97) – Arthur comes from a heck of a gene pool – he is the older brother of Jon Jones, the UFC Light Heavyweight Champ and Chandler Jones, the Patriots defensive end. He signed a 5-year contract with the Colts this year, so he must be doing something right as part of their defensive line.
– Vontae Davis, Cornerback (21) – More siblings! Vontae is Vernon Davis’s (49ers TE) little brother. He spent 3 years in Miami putting up decent stats until Indianapolis traded a second-round pick for him in 2012. He signed a 4-year, $39 million deal this year.
– Bjoern Werner, Outside Linebacker (92) – OK, Bjoern may not be the biggest name on the Colt’s roster, but he’s German and for some reason, we love pointing out Europeans on this blog. Drafted in 2013, he’s already doubled the amount of sacks he had last year and we’re not even halfway through the season.
1 Special Teams Player You Should Know:
Adam Vinatieri, Kicker (4) – The definition of a clutch kicker, Vinatieri is probably one of the best-known kickers in the league. He is the first kicker to win four Super Bowls.
What Happened This Offseason:
– Reggie Wayne is back after tearing his ACL last year.
– The Colts signed Hakeem Nicks, a WR from the Giants, to a one-year deal. His numbers haven’t been too impressive so far this year, but it looks like the team is using him as more of an insurance policy if starters go down.
– The Colts lost Donald Thomas (Guard) and Vick Ballard (RB) for the year due to injury. Poor Donald missed most of last season due to injury. Poor Vick tore his ACL in 2013 and then did it again this year in the preseason.
– Outside linebacker Robert Mathis was suspended for the first four games of the season after testing positive for a banned substance that was in unapproved fertility drugs. He then tore his ACL working out on his own and is out for the year.
Why You Should Cheer for Them: #ChuckStrong. You feel bad that Colts players have been tearing their ACLs like it’s their job. You feel bad that they’ve lost in the first round of the playoffs the last two years. People in Indianapolis seem like they would be super friendly.
2014 Theme Song: Love Sneakin’ Up on You (Bonnie Raitt) – The Colts are sneakily a really good team this year. We’re almost at the midway point and they are on a hot streak, with a defense that’s playing better than expected. Everyone knew they would be good, but at the end of the season, we’ll all be saying, we should have seen this coming (especially considering their weak division). That’s where the “sneakin’ up on you” part comes in with our song selection. Also, “Luck” sounds a lot like “love,” so it kinda sounds like Bonnie is saying “Luck’s sneaking up on you.”
The Last Word: Do you ever have trouble associating Andrew Luck with the Colts? Our mom doesn’t. As we all know, Peyton Manning left the Colts to go to the Broncos. As Momma O puts it, “he went to the big horsies.” Peyton’s replacement on the Colts, is the younger Andrew Luck. The Colts are the “little horsies.” Peyton = Big horsey. Andrew = Little horsey. Also, horseshoes are considered lucky. Luck = Horseshoes = Colts. Easy, right?
– Michelle and Val