Team Name: Kansas City Chiefs
Division: AFC West
Stadium: Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City, MO)
2013 Record: 11-5
2014 Record: 9-7
Head Coach: Andy Reid (2013 – present), was the head coach of the Eagles for many seasons, until they were like “we’re just not that into you anymore” and Kansas City scooped him up
Quarterback: Alex Smith (2013 – present), landed in KC after playing with San Fran the first eight seasons of his career, where he was benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick in a bold move by coach Jim Harbaugh in 2012
3 Offensive Players You Should Know:
– Jamaal Charles, Running Back (25) – Known for his speed and toughness, Charles is the third player in NFL history to have at least five seasons with 1,000 yards and an average of 5 yards per carry.
– Dwayne Bowe, Wide Receiver (82) – Chiefs’ first-round draft pick in 2007, he’s had his ups and downs over the years, with his best year coming in 2010. He likes to hold out for his contracts and had some suspensions – one due to violation of the substance abuse policy and another for personal conduct policy (he was arrested for possession of a controlled substance).
– Eric Fisher, Offensive Tackle (72) – This 2013 first-round draft pick had a super disappointing rookie season that ended with shoulder surgery. He was moved to left tackle (protects the quarterback’s blind side) for the 2014 season and showed some improvement.
3 Defensive Players You Should Know:
– Dontari Poe, Nose Tackle (92) – The Chiefs’ first-round draft pick of 2012, he is known for his size (6’3″, 346 lbs) and athleticism. You don’t expect a man that big to move that fast. He established himself as a starter his rookie year, and then was voted to the ProBowl in both 2013 and 2014. He didn’t play football before high school – his high school coach saw him marching with the drum line the summer before freshman year and told him to show up for football practice the next day. The rest is history.
– Tamba Hali, Outside Linebacker (91) – Liberian-born Hali has spent his entire career with the Chiefs after being drafted by the team in 2006. He’s made the ProBowl four times, but it’s unknown if he will finish his career with Kansas City because of his hefty salary. He holds a blue belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
– Eric Berry, Safety (29) – You may recognize Berry’s name because he was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma after team doctors found a mass in his chest in November 2014. No updates on his treatment as of January 2015. Berry is an outstanding safety – a three-time ProBowler. Also, you HAVE to watch this NFL Films clip (the entire thing!) about his fear of horses, which stems from an incident where he was bitten by a horse as a child. “Dang, horse…I trusted you.”
What Happened This Offseason:
– The team agreed to a four-year contract extension with QB Alex Smith in August 2014.
– The Chiefs didn’t re-sign most of their o-line from the 2013 season and the impact showed, as the unit struggled during the 2014 season. QB Alex Smith was sacked a whopping 45 times this season – tied for 4th most in the league.
Why You Should Cheer for Them: Eric Berry is an excellent reason to cheer for this team. We hope to see him cancer-free and back on the field soon!
If you watch the video below, you will agree with me that Jennifer Lopez does not age. What is she? A vampire? Ugh, life is not fair.
The Last Word: There were high expectations for their 2014 season, but things aren’t easy when you’re in the same division as Peyton Manning.
– Michelle and Val