Team Name: Jacksonville Jaguars
Division: AFC South
Stadium: EverBank Field (Jacksonville, FL)
2013 Record: 4-12
Head Coach: Gus Bradley (2013 – present), was recruited for the Jacksonville head coach position after working wonders with the Seattle defense as their coordinator
Quarterback: Blake Bortles (2014), named the starter in September and has been regressing ever since
3 Offensive Players You Should Know:
– Denard Robinson, Running Back/Wide Receiver (16) – Robinson may be one of the most athletically interesting players in the league. He was a quarterback, running back, and wide receiver in college. Last year the team listed his position as “Offensive Weapon” and this year he’s listed as a “RB/WR” on their website roster. He earned the nickname Shoelace because he didn’t tie his shoes as a kid, a practice which he continued through college and for the most part, in the pros. That doesn’t really bother people because he’s super fast and if he can run that fast without his shoelaces tied, more power to him.
– Toby Gerhart, Running Back (21) – He was supposed to be the team’s answer at running back once Maurice Jones-Drew left, but he’s no longer the starter at this point in the season. He had a prolific college career at Stanford.
– Cecil Shorts, Wide Receiver (84) – He ended both his 2012 and 2013 seasons by being placed on injured reserve. This season he’s shown flashes of potential with some 100+ yard games, but he seems to be suffering as a result of this sub-par offense.
3 Defensive Players You Should Know:
– Paul Posluszny, Middle Linebacker (51) – Unfortunately, Paul is out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle, which is unfortunate because he’s a Pro Bowler and signed a relatively hefty deal with the team in 2011. He also definitely has some Polish heritage with that last name.
– Ziggy Hood, Defensive Tackle (92) – Ziggy spent the first four years of his career as a Steeler and then signed a four-year deal with the Jags in March. His real name is Evander, but his grandmother couldn’t pronounce it when he was little, so they started calling him after his favorite cartoon character (yes, the small pant-less chubby bald dude).
– Red Bryant, Defensive End (79) – Red was a Seahawks veteran who followed Gus Bradley to the sunshine state. He was a captain in Seattle, but had a hefty contract and one of the reasons for his release was to create cap space. He’s a big dude, coming in at 6’4″ and 320 lbs. His real name is Joseph, he was the first in his family to graduate from college, and he overcame dyslexia.
What Happened This Offseason:
– The Jaguars drafted quarterback Blake Bortles. He was supposed to be the quarterback of the future, but then Chad Henne was kinda sucking, so he became the quarterback of now.
– Justin Blackmon had a ton of potential, leading all rookie wide receivers in first downs last year. In April he received a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Then he violated it again and was suspended indefinitely. Prior to entering the NFL, he had a few DUIs under his belt too. You won’t see him on the field this year, but here’s to hoping he can clean up his act because the team could use him.
– The team lost running back Maurice Jones-Drew to Oakland. MJD’s productivity had declined recently and there were contract disputes, so it wasn’t a complete surprise. The team brought in Toby Gerhart from Minnesota to replace him, but he lost the starting job.
– Most importantly, Jaguars management added pools and cabanas in the stadium. (Can you imagine me as a Jaguars lifeguard? People would drown. “My bad, it was a 3rd and goal, so I was definitely not paying attention.”)
Why You Should Cheer for Them: You’re a local. You want to go to a football game and party in a pool. You live in London and need a “home” team. (The team has a four-year deal to play one “home” game there each year through 2016.)
2014 Theme Song: Up! (Shania Twain) – With only one win so far this season, it’s tough to be a Jaguars fan or player right now. Things to have to get better for them….eventually….right?
The Last Word: Ummm…did I mention they have pools in the stadium?